Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Gas and Crap


This Crap Ticks Me Off . . . Why haven't utility companies figured out how to take advantage of today’s technology when it comes to reading meters?

Scientists have figured out how to store hydrogen as a solid to ease the complications of fuel cell technology. Baby dolls are completely interactive including voice recognition technology. Pocket PCs that not only call our clients but update our blogs and send e-mail. What the hell does the gas man still “need to come in” my house to physically read a meter for?

A man, dressed in a blue jumpsuit and reflector vest came to my door the other day. "GAS MAN! Here to read the meter!" Startled, I thought, ok dude, read the meter, it's OUTSIDE. Moments later, deja vue sets in and I hear a second loud knock on the door and the same bellowing cry, "GAS MAN! Here to read the meter!"

I've watched the news; I've read the headlines. Mentally disturbed individuals are posing as utility workers in order to gain access to residences. So my question remains, why the crap haven't the utility companies taken advantage of technology to perfect the system in order to protect their customers and lose the bad rap?

I told the person I was talking to on the phone the gas man was at my door and "needed to come inside." I set the phone down with the person waiting on the other end of the line.

When I cautiously answered the door and asked him for identification, I looked him over with scrutiny. He seemed to have the right clothing and getup, but I'm sure the terrorists of September 11th looked pretty damn normal too. He could see that I was suspicious; He held out both of his badges, explained he was here to verify the numeric value of the inside meter matched the outside meter and he was following normal procedure.

Crap.

My dumb @ss let him in.

Mom, I know, I screwed up.

He walked downstairs, me carefully trailing behind, and he looked for the meter. I asked him how often it is required to inspect the inside of the home. He said, "Every three years." I asked, "Isn't there a meter outside to verify my usage?" He responded, "Yes, but we have to be sure the inside meter actually matches what the outside meter shows." He made a few notes, mumbled a few words to himself, and said he was finished. In my mind, I silently thanked him for not making any false moves - gutting a human like a deer is not something I'd like to add to my resume.

He went back outside and just before I closed the door, he said he was unable to find the outside meter. I pointed in the direction of my other meters on the side of the house and told him he was going to have to figure it out from there. I'm not sure I could have locked my door any faster.

Through the window, I noted another man in a hooded sweatshirt walking up my driveway. The two men began talking, pointing and walking around my house. I also noted there was no identifiable utility truck in site, only a white van with a ladder a few houses down the street. Eventually, he came back to my side door and called out they were finished.

Amen.

Maybe everything was legit and there was nothing for me to be concerned about. Maybe it was the 10 inch buck knife underneath the back of my shirt that became exposed as I moved the dog cage out of the way of the meter downstairs. I don't know and I don't care. What I do know is that utility workers belong outside and they are not coming inside ever again.

How? I called the gas company to find out the options. It appears you can say no thanks to the gas man that comes to your door and call the gas company directly to have one of their employees come out. Oh, you thought the guy that comes to your door is an employee already?

Crap.

They are subcontracted through the gas company to come out and read your meter. Next time, turn them away, call the gas company for an appointment, and make sure you either have someone home with you or you have your own "Home Alone" personal militia in place.

Add to Technorati Favorites